According to Cambridge University Press (2020) flood is defined as a large amount of water that covers an area that is usually dry. Flood usually develops slowly and sometimes it can take over a period of a day but remember that flash flood takes a really short time so please be extra careful when you see heavy rain non-stop.
In 2014, Malaysia especially the east coast area due to heavy rain caused the flood, and many roads in Kelantan needed to be closed due to too much water covering the road to the point there are no vehicles able to cross the road anymore. In Pahang, the area that got the worst hit was Kuantan, Maran, Jerantut, Lipis, and Pekan. As for Terengganu, the areas that were badly affected are Dungun, Kuala Terengganu, Hulu Terengganu, Besut, and Marang. This was one of the worst floods that took place after 30 years, it also resulted in about 24 deaths.
There were many volunteers who tried to help these three badly affected states. One of them was the former Menteri Besar Terengganu, Datuk Ahmad Razif Abdul Rahman who joined the victim humanitarian mission.
There were two areas that were involved namely, Machang and Dabong in Kuala Krai. There was also a group of the medical team that joined the Health Department, in order to help out the victims. As there were many basic things that were needed to be purchased for the victims. If you ever considered being one of the volunteers for these causes, especially wanting to provide the utmost basic need, why not lookout for an amazing supplier for groceries, with the current pandemic, it is never easy to get hands-on and deliver them. Why not purchase it from online grocery Malaysia, because it is much safer and it does save loads of time from going to a physical store. They also do offer free delivery if you were to purchase a good number of items.
Tips On What You Should Do During Flood
Precautions that should be taken before the hit of the flood
- Prepare an emergency kit for your whole family in the house if so anything happens you can just grab it.
- Move up the electric panes and water heater if you are living in a flood-prone area.
- Prepare documents or important files in one place like your birth certificate, education certificate, identification card, license.
Things to do during the hit of the flood
- Hear out for information from radio and television or social media.
- Do not touch electrical components or devices especially when you are in the water or when the device is wet because it may electrocute you.
- Stay away from any electronic stuff because it is really dangerous.
- If you need to walk in the flood to go to the safest place make sure not to step on the drain especially when you do not know how to swim because you might drown.
- Always call out for help.
Things to do post-flood struck
- Oil, gasoline, or raw sewage might be contained in the floodwater so make sure you do not touch it.
- Power line electric charge might be in the floodwater, do not step on it.
- Be cautious when you touch things, especially electronics that have to drown because it might have an electronic charge in it.
- Do not put on any plug until you make sure the plug is thoroughly dry, the same goes for the electronics.
In conclusion, a flood is extremely dangerous and many have died because of it so please try your best to always take safety precautions and if you are not one to be affected, please do seek out the ones who need it.