California Volunteers Press Kit
AmeriCorps 20th Anniversary Event - Press Kit
Every day in communities across America, AmeriCorps members are making a powerful impact on the most critical issues facing our nation. Since its inception, more than 820,000 men and women have taken the AmeriCorps pledge, serving more than one billion hours and improving the lives of countless Americans. Leading the nation, California AmeriCorps members total more than 116,000 members served since 1994, reaching nearly 143 million hours served and earning more than $331 million in Segal AmeriCorps Education Awards.
On September 12, 2014 CaliforniaVolunteers will recognize the commitment of AmeriCorps members and alums, and highlight the extraordinary impact AmeriCorps has made for 20 years. California's 20th Anniversary Celebration will recognize important moments and individuals in AmeriCorps' history. Join us to help launch a future platform for growing service in the Golden State.Press Kit Table of Contents:
1. Event Information: the AmeriCorps 20th Anniversary event is taking place on Friday, September 12 beginning at 10:00am at the Presidio Institute in San Francisco. This event will feature VIP speakers and the swearing-in of 1,000 AmeriCorps members.
2. Media Advisory
3. Media Maps/Parking Information
- Swearing-in ceremony of 1,000 AmeriCorps members at 10:45 a.m.
- Visual photographic pillars with AmeriCorps impact statistics.
- Four service projects showing AmeriCorps members in action doing service at 1:00 p.m.
- Interview opportunities with VIPS, AmeriCorps members and Alums.
- Great on-location, remote shots with view of the Golden Gate Bridge.
(Corporation for National and Community Service is the Federal funder of the AmeriCorps program.)
Please contact Samantha Jo Warfield at the Corporation for National and Community Service for permission for use.
Phone: (202) 606-6775
6. CaliforniaVolunteers AmeriCorps Rhythm of Service Video
(CaliforniaVolunteers is the state office that administers Federal AmeriCorps grants.)
7. Corporation for National and Community Service Photos
8. CaliforniaVolunteers Photos
9. AmeriCorps Fact Sheet
10. CaliforniaVolunteers Fact Sheet
11. AmeriCorps Milestones
12. Award Winners' Biographies
- Leaders in the service field who have been on the ground since the inception of AmeriCorps.
- Read more about Service Trailblazers
Hoffman Prize Winner
- Recognizes an exceptional California business executive who demonstrates outstanding and impactful work fostering volunteerism in his or her local community, the State of California, the nation, and the globe.
2014 Volunteer of the Year Award Winner
- Honors an outstanding Californian whose volunteer service is exemplary and inspirational.
Catherine Milton California AmeriCorps Member of the Year Award Winner
- Honors an outstanding California AmeriCorps member who has made a substantial impact to his or her community.
- Read more about the Catherine Milton California AmeriCorps Member of the Year Award.
Dayna Long, AmeriCorps Alums 20th Anniversary National and Local Leadership Award Winner
Kevin Miller, AmeriCorps Alums 20th Anniversary National and Local Leadership Award Winner
Roger Wong, AmeriCorps Alums 20th Anniversary National Leadership Award Winner
14. Service Project Information
Education Service Projects, sponsored by Kaiser Permanente
Environment Service Projects, sponsored by HP
Homeless Veterans Comfort Kits Assembly, sponsored by Bank of America
Drought Toolkit Assembly, sponsored by Blue Shield
15. Sponsorship Information
16. Event Webcast
Governor Jerry Brown's Remarks
Karen Baker's Remarks
Rita Holiday's Remarks
Lou Diamond Phillips' Remarks
Angela de los Santos' Remarks
Janet Lamkin's Remarks
Governor Brown's Swearing In
Video Played at Event
17. Photos from September 12, 2014 event
18. Important Contacts
Media Inquiries Contact for CaliforniaVolunteers and/or Event Information:
Monica Hassan, CaliforniaVolunteers Director of External Affairs
Cell: 916-616-5722, Desk: 916-322-1431