California Faith Communities Summit:
Leading Congregations Building Disaster Resilient Communities & Coordinating Faith-based Disaster Response
Faith communities serve as focal points for people seeking social, spiritual and recovery assistance when disaster strikes, as evidenced by the 9/11 terrorist attacks, Hurricane Katrina, and the 2009 H1N1 pandemic. Communities that struggle to recover from these events often lack strong social and religious networks. In fact, in times of crisis, research has found that an estimated 60 percent of Americans turn first to their religious leaders and faith communities for advice and direction. In low-income and immigrant communities, this percentage has been found to be even higher.
In the fall of 2012 CaliforniaVolunteers hosted regional summits across California, that brought together faith leaders, emergency and public agency officials, and VOADs (Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster) to establish a vision for building sustainable faith community networks and partnerships with California government agencies. CaliforniaVolunteers partnered with regional emergency management, VOADs, and interfaith intermediaries to bring the summits to San Diego, Los Angeles, and Central California.
- Cracking the Code: Acronyms, Roles, Responsibilities and Resources
- California Faith Communities Disaster Leadership & Engagement
- Asset Mapping
- Risk Communication
- Continuity of Operations Plan Presentation (Los Angeles)
- HOWCALM Survey Template
- NDIN-BE A READY CONGREGATION- Tip Sheet
- USC Center for Religion and Civic Culture Handout
- Elements of Disaster Planning- ENLA
Participants are welcome to distribute or use this information for educational purposes only. Please attribute all Copyrighted content and source as indicated on each slide. All rights reserved. For permission to publish or use please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com as appropriate.
Continuity of Operations for Community and Faith-based Organizations
- An Introduction to Continuity of Operations Planning(COOP) for Community and Faith-based Organizations
- Continuity of Operations Planning(COOP) Quick-check Form for Community and Faith-based Organizations
- Continuity of Operations Plan Development Worksheets for Community and Faith-based Organizations
Faithful Action Working with Religious Groups in Disaster Planning, Response and Recovery - USC Center for Religion and Civic Culture
- Faithful Action Disaster Response
- 89.3 KPCC NPR Report on the importance of religious groups in disaster response with Brie Loskota
Center for Religion & Civic Culture