According to Cambridge University Press (2020) flood is defined as a large amount of water that covers an area that is usually dry. Flood usually develops slowly and sometimes it can take over a period of a day but remember that flash flood takes a really short time so please be extra careful when you see heavy rain non-stop. In California there are a number of ways to be prepared before and during a flood.
I am sure most of us remember the flood that happened in South Yuba River at Highway 49 back in 2017. The flood resulted in at least 5 deaths. Floods are natural disasters that occur usually due to heavy rain but in some cases floods also happen because of clogged drains that are in the area. Another example of a flood that occurred in California was The Great Flood of 1862. The flood started in December 1862 and continued until the end of January 1863. The flood was caused my heavy snowing in the area which resulted into rivers and streams being covered by piles of snow. However there was a sudden spike in temperature in the month of December that caused the snow to melt rapidly, it resulted to the worst flood that California had ever experienced.
There are also other countries such as Malaysia, Indonesia and India that have faced similar issues with the flood. In Malaysia, during the latest monsoon season more than 48000 people from 6 different states had to seek shelter due to floods that were happening. The shelters brought them clothes, bathing essentials and even took efforts to find same day grocery delivery in Malaysia so that everyone would be able to have enough food supplies to last them during the flood. Volunteers in California could use this as an example to help their flood victims as well.
So what can you do to be better prepared for a flood? Well we have a list perfectly curated to help you out. Continue reading if you wish to know what should be done prior to and during a flood.
Below are some tips, on what you should do during floods:-
Precautions that should be taken before the hit of flood:
- Prepare an emergency kit for your whole family in the house if so anything happens you can just grab it.
- Move up the electric panes and water heater if you are living in a flood prone area.
- Prepare documents or important files in one place like your birth certificate, education certificate, identification card, license.
`Things to do during the hit of flood:
- Hear out for the information from radio and television or social media.
- Do not touch electrical components or devices especially when you are in the water or when the device is wet because it may electrocute you.
- Stay away from any electronic stuff because it is really dangerous.
- If you need to walk in the flood to go to the safest place make sure not to step on the drain especially when you do not know how to swim because you might drown.
- Always call out for help.
Things to do post flood struck:
- Oil, gasoline or raw sewage might be contained in the floodwater so make sure you do not touch it.
- Power line electric charge might be in the floodwater, do not step on it.
- Be caution when you touch things, especially electronics that have to drown because it might have an electronic charge in it.
- Do not put on any plug until you make sure the plug is thoroughly dry, same goes to the electronics.
In conclusion, flood is extremely dangerous and many have died because of it so please try your best to always take safety precautions and if you are not one to be affected, please do seek out the ones who need it. If you ever wish to help more people, try signing up as a volunteer in California. There are always people who will be needing help. You will be able to meet and communicate with people from all walks of life, you’ll understand their struggles and hardships. Being a volunteer is a hard job and you will need to be able to put the needs of others ahead of you. As a volunteer the only form of payment you will be receiving is the joy and love from others once you help ease their sufferings.